A Travellerspoint blog

Christchurch - Auckland - Houston - Miami

The longest day

Chch -Akld

We arrived at the airport just after 14.00 and checked in the two suitcases which weighed well under 20 kg each Next, a visit to a gift shop and then upstairs for a coffee and snack. We said goodbye to Jennifer and Matthew then went through security. Boarded and had pleasant flight to Auckland. We walked from the domestic to the international building and headed straight for departures.
Auckland has auto passport scanner (we passed!), then through security. We had a 23 minute walk to gate 18 passed lots of lovely shops. We bought two books on the way.

Akld - Houston

We boarded the 787-9 Dreamliner and found our seats. Shirley had plenty of leg room but Chris had a seat that would not recline. The flight was uneventful, with a bit of turbulence. We had beef osso bucco with salad and potato for dinner, plus fruit and kapiti ice cream. We watched movies and dozed until breakfast which was scrambled egg, sausage, beans, fruit, yoghurt.
When we landed at Houston, we went through customs and immigration, then took the sky train to Terminal C. We went through security, taking off watches, belt, shoes, jewellery, getting out tablet and cellphones, putting all into plastic bins, to go thru xray.
Houston is a hub airport and very big, so we walked alot which helped stretch our legs and refresh us. The Dreamliner has a polycarbon body and does not rust so the air con is humidified which reduces jet lag.
After security, we found toilets, freshened up, and had a coffee. Every group of tables between gates had tablets and power boxes with USB so we could charge up. We got a new boarding ticket because we needed to know our group number.

Houston - Miami

We had a economy fare so no meal for the 2 hour plus flight, and there was a fee for watching anything on the screen so we read our books. Miami International is also a large airport so we had a good walk along the H arm to the main concourse to collect our bags. We arrived at 21.50 and waited for the hotel shuttle until 22.30 then caught a taxi to the hotel. After checking in we went to the in house bar, had a clam chowder with garlic bed, and headed to bed. The air con was a bit noisy, but we were so pleased to be horizontal and we slept.

Posted by TheDorsey5 20:04

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.