A Travellerspoint blog

Arriving in Curacao

Miami - Curacao


We were up after 07.00, dressed and headed for breakfast in the hotel foyer. A self help buffet is available - pour your own drink, all you can eat from eggs, sausages, bacon, cereal, toast. You can also make your own waffle, or have an iced doughnut! We had juice, cereal, eggs and toast, then checkout and hopped on the 09.00 shuttle back to Miami International.
After our successful check in at Chch using a kiosk, we approached a Miami kiosk to checkin. The previous person had left it in an unhappy state so we pressed 'Start Over' but it did not want to! We left it and went to another kiosk. We scanned a passport but it could not find us (even though we were standing in front of it). Technology! A helpful staff member suggested we try the 'Start Over' and this kiosk was happy to humour us. This time we put in the flight reference which found our booking (good!) Then we found out we had no overhead locker allocation. We paid for our 2 bags and the little lockable trolleycase (thanks Rosemary) then printed off labels and boarding passes, and receipts. We transferred bulky items from the soft cabin bag into the other cases then dropped them at the checked bag desk. All three suitcases were under weight. PHEW!!
We went through security, and headed along the 'D' arm, past shops, food shops, souvenir shops, clothing shops, bars, and realised its like a mall! We had 2 hours until boarding so wandered along. Morning tea a la Starbucks, Chris had a flat white, Shirley had a peach citrus ice tea, and we shared a biscotti. Chris found a turtle fridge magnet for his work, Shirley bought a postcard. We had a Häagen Dazs icecream before boarding.


We were in group 9 and that is the lowest group for American Airlines. They also have a shorter seat pitch, so Shirley had jammed knees for 3 hours.
The flight was good, and we watched movies.

Curacao International Airport aka Hato airport is small, quaint and clean. We felt the heat of the island as soon as we got into the airbridge. The automatic passport checker could only deal with US and EU passports so we went through the manned lane without any problem. The luggage claim area was small and basic, trolleys were available, we collected all 3 bags, headed out to exit, no shuttle, so caught a taxi to the hotel. Afterchecking in and taking our bags to our room, we visited Anita and Piet for coffee and a catch up chat.

Their daughter Karen arrived about 17.00 and we walked down to restaurant on the beach where we met Jordy, Leah and Luke. It was make your own pasta night, so chose from multi choice options and enjoyed a lovely meal.
After karen and family left, Anita, Piet, and we went up to our room for coffee. We all needed an early night!

Posted by TheDorsey5 02:00

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.